The new president of AMDA–The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine says she will continue to expand the organization’s efforts to include care settings such as assisted living communities and Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly.
Also from this year’s AMDA annual meeting:
“The society’s biggest challenge in the coming year might actually be thinking about who we can become, and how we want to grow, and how we want to continue to represent this area of medical practice,” said Heidi White, M.D., MHS, M.E.d, CMD, who has almost 20 years of experience as medical director at Croasdaile Village retirement community in Durham, NC. She was elected at AMDA’s recent annual meeting.
“We are always going to be medical directors,” she continued, “but we also want to be attending physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and other professionals in this setting who want to partner with us for good care.”
Originally focused on nursing home medical directors, AMDA in recent years has expanded its membership to include physician assistants, nurse practitioners, advanced practice nurses and allied health professionals who serve seniors in a variety of settings. New attention to assisted living has been building for the past few years as well. And the organization recently announced the creation of a practice management section to enable it to represent the 50,000 medical practitioners who care for residents in post-acute care and long-term care settings, in addition to 5,000 nursing home medical directors.
White also is an associate professor of medicine with tenure at Duke University School of Medicine in the geriatrics division and a senior fellow in the Duke Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development.
Other members of the 2017–2018 Society Board of Directors:
- President-elect: Cari R. Levy, M.D., Ph.D., CMD, of Denver.
- Vice president: Arif Nazir, M.D., FACP, CMD, of Louisville, KY.
- Immediate past president: Susan Levy, M.D., CMD, of Frankford, DE.
- Treasurer: Jeffrey N. Nichols, M.D., CMD, of New York City.
- Secretary: David A. Nace, M.D., MPH, CMD, of Wexford, PA.
- House of Delegates representatives: Michele Bellantoni, M.D., CMD, of Baltimore; Randi Berkowitz, M.D., CMD, of Boston; and Wayne Saltsman, M.D., Ph.D., CMD, of Burlington, MA.
- Representatives, State President’s Council: Mary P. Evans, M.D., CMD, of Charlottesville, VA; Thomas Lehner, M.D., CMD, of Cleveland; and; Milta Little, D.O., CMD, of St. Louis.