ORLANDO, FL — For the first time ever, both the National Center for Assisted Living Board of Directors and the American Health Care Association Board of Governors are now simultaneously headed by women, AHCA / NCAL tells McKnight’s Senior Living.
Helen Crunk of Nebraska was elected chair of the NCAL board, and Debbie Meade of Georgia was elected chair of the AHCA board, both for 2019-2020 terms, on Wednesday during the organizations’ 70th Annual Convention and Expo.
“We are fortunate to have this caring, qualified group of leaders on our boards,” AHCA/NCAL President and CEO Mark Parkinson said in a statement. “Like most of our members, Debbie and Helen are in their buildings every day providing care to our residents. Their hands-on leadership and passion for our residents will guide us well for the next two years.”
Crunk is the executive director of Pemberly Place Management and Archer Place Medical Clinic, both in Lincoln, NE. She is a registered nurse with more than 25 years of experience in long-term care and a two-time recipient of the NCAL Administrator of the Year Award.
Crunk has served on the NCAL Board since 2011 and has been a member of numerous committees at the national level. Most recently on the NCAL board, she was vice chair. Additionally, Crunk is a past chair of the Nebraska Assisted Living Association, a state affiliate of NCAL.
Officers of NCAL’s Board of Directors:
- Vice Chair: Gerald Hamilton of R&G Healthcare Management, New Mexico
- Secretary/Treasurer: Mark Maxfield of The Cottages, Idaho
- Immediate Past Chair: Ashley Blankenship of StoneBridge Senior Living, Arkansas
- John Bolduc of Odd Fellows’ and Rebekahs’ Home of Maine, Maine
- Rod Burkett of Gardant Management Solutions, Illinois
- David Chensvold of Assisted Living Partners, Iowa
- Sue Coppola of Sunrise Senior Living, Virginia
- Randy Cyphers of Brookdale Senior Living, Oregon
- Lee Field of Senior Services of America, Washington
- Denise German of Medicalodges, Kansas
- Barbara Mitchell of Magnolia Manor Senior Living, Georgia
- Sean Mockbee of View Point Senior Care, Arizona
- Mary Savoy of Forest Hills of DC, Washington, DC
- Sarah Silva of the Avamere Family of Companies, Oregon
- Gail Sheridan of Tealwood Senior Living, Minnesota
- Paul Wasser of Dominican Village, New York
- ASHCAE representative: Doug Farmer of the Colorado Health Care Association
- ASHCAE representative: David Voepel of the Arizona Health Care Association
- ABM representative: Shawn Scott of Medline Industries
Ex-officio members on the NCAL Board of Directors include Meade as AHCA chair; Phil Fogg of Marquis Companies, Oregon, as AHCA vice chair; and ASHCAE Vice President Heath Boddy of the Nebraska Health Care Association. Crunk also is one of three ex-officio members on the AHCA Board of Governors.
“The diverse group of expert providers on the NCAL Board will foster healthy discussions and meaningful actions,” NCAL Executive Director Scott Tittle said in a statement. “We are fortunate for their time and contributions to help elevate the entire assisted living profession.”
Members of the NCAL Board of Directors are elected by current members of the board and by NCAL state leaders or their proxies.
The AHCA / NCAL annual meeting concluded Wednesday with additional educational sessions, an AHCA / NCAL Awards ceremony, a closing keynote speech on how to encourage others at work, by Brad Montgomery, and a gala dinner and show featuring Kool and the Gang.