Nonprofit Sun Health has launched Sun Health at Home, which it says is the first continuing care at home program in the southwestern United States.
“It’s a CCaH program for Phoenix-area residents ages 55 and older who are living independently,” said Jennifer Drago, Sun Health’s executive vice president of population health. “We coordinate services for people who may need assistance around the house or with accessing healthcare. Our goal is to help seniors live independently as long as possible.”
Sun Health at Home pairs older adults with a personal wellness coordinator who connects them with a wide range of medical and non-medical services, as needed. “The wellness coordinators are the heart of the program; the ones who learn members’ likes, dislikes and care preferences,” Drago said. “They look out for members’ well-being, especially when there are no family members living nearby to take on that role.”
The program includes a one-time membership fee and a monthly service fee based on age and the plan selected. Because it’s a life care plan, it helps older adults protect their assets, she added.
“Sun Health at Home is not only an alternative to long-term care insurance, but it can also complement existing LTC insurance policies to provide a complete plan for personalized care,” said Michael Mandell, a member of the Sun Health Foundation Board of Trustees and a Sun City West retiree.
A Sun Health at Home membership comes with a lifetime guarantee of care and includes the following benefits, many of which are not covered by LTC insurance plans:
- health and wellness services;
- a personal emergency response system;
- transportation coordination;
- supportive home technologies;
- medication management services;
- nutritional support/meals;
- homemaker/companion services;
- personal care aide services;
- a home health aide/certified nursing assistant;
- adult day health programs;
- select guest privileges and activities at Sun Health’s three life care retirement communities; and
- access to assisted living, memory support and skilled care facilities, as needed.