Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society, based in South Dakota, is the largest not-for-profit multi-site senior living organization in the country in terms of market-rate assisted living units, according to the newly released 2015 LeadingAge Ziegler 150 (PDF) report. Good Samaritan offered 2,262 such units as of Dec. 31, the cut-off date used for data collection.
Rounding out the list of the top five largest market-rate assisted living owners/operators on the LZ 150 list for 2015 are Ecumen of Minnesota, with 2,106 units; Presbyterian Homes and Services of Minnesota, with 2,077 units; Bethesda Senior Living Communities of Colorado, with 1,312 units; and National Senior Campuses of Maryland, with 1,270 units. The LZ 150 list includes personal care and residential care units in the assisted living unit totals.
Good Samaritan also topped the 2015 LZ 150 list in terms of nursing care beds, offering 10,754 such beds. As McKnight’s Senior Living previously reported, however, the system was supplanted by National Senior Campuses of Maryland at the top of the LZ 150’s overall list (total market-rate independent living, assisted living and nursing care beds) for the first time since the list’s inception in 2004. Ziegler, an underwriter of financing for senior living, housing and healthcare providers, had offered a “sneak peek” at the overall list in August.
Other highlights of the report:
- National Senior Campuses, based in Maryland, is the largest not-for-profit multi-site senior living organization as far as independent living units, offering 15,503 such units in its 15 continuing care retirement communities.
- The largest provider of affordable housing is National Church Residences, based in Ohio, with 21,818 such units in 323 communities. National Church Residences also tops the list of multi-site senior living providers for total market-rate and affordable senior living units, with a total of 23,673 units (on that list, Good Samaritan is number two).
- Charlestown Community in Catonsville, MD, is the largest non-for-profit single-campus senior living community, with 1,815 total units; the same community offers the most independent living units, 1,484, of providers on that list. Menorah Park Center for Senior Living in Cleveland offers the most assisted living units of owners/operators on that list, with 230 units.
- Riderwood Village of National Senior Campuses, in Silver Spring, MD, is the largest individual campus of a system, with a total of 2,250 market-rate units, 1,929 of them independent living units. On that list, Waverly Gardens, a Presbyterian Homes and Services community in North Oaks, MN, offered the most assisted living units, at 429.
- 92% of assisted living units are private, compared with 40.2% of skilled nursing units that are private; 59.8% of skilled nursing units are semi-private.
- 56.5% of LZ 150 organizations have independent living CCRC units available for rent, whereas 43.5% of organizations offer independent living CCRC units only by entry fee.