Fifty companies providing residential senior living and care are in the spotlight this morning after Fortune announced its Best Workplaces for Aging Services lists for 2022, the fifth round of such lists Fortune has published in partnership with people analytics firm Great Place to Work and Activated Insights, the senior care affiliate of Great Place to Work.
Once again this year, Baltimore-based Brightview Senior Living topped the list for large-sized companies (1,000 or more employees), matching its performance in 2021, 2020 and 2019. New to the top spot on the list of small-to-medium-sized companies (10 to 999 employees) is Skokie, IL-based Legacy Healthcare.
In all, Fortune recognized a total of 65 workplaces in long-term care this year: 25 large senior living and care employers, 25 small to medium-sized senior living and care employers, and 15 home care companies. All told, the 2022 Best Workplaces in Aging Services lists feature 30 returning companies that also received recognition in 2021, as well as 35 honorees new for 2022.
To determine all of the 2022 lists, a total of more than 243,000 employees were invited to be surveyed across 4,220 locations. The rankings come after an analysis of the survey responses of more than 140,000 employees from Great Place to Work-Certified companies in senior housing and care and at-home care in the aging services industry.
To be certified as a Great Place to Work, operators must survey all of their employees using a “trust index survey” including 60 questions. Providers earn Great Place to Work certification if at least 70% employees surveyed confirm that an employer is a great place to work. Once certified, operators automatically are included in Fortune’s ranking process. Fortune and Great Place to Work then take the employee certification data and run it through an algorithm that adjusts for factors such as company size and consistency of all employee experience. The adjusted scores of each operator are then ranked.
This year’s rankings appear below. For more information about the lists, visit Fortune’s website.
Large senior living and care employers:
This year’s list contains many familiar names, with only six companies on this list not on the 2021 list.
1. Brightview Senior Living, Baltimore*
2. Citadel Healthcare, Rockford, IL*
3. Vi Living, Chicago*
4. Trilogy Health Services, Louisville, KY*
5. WesleyLife, Johnston, IA*
6. Silverado Senior Living, Irvine, CA*
7. Legend Senior Living, Wichita, KS*
8. Americare Senior Living, Sikeston, MO*
9. Sunrise Senior Living, McLean, VA*
10. Carlton Senior Living, Concord, CA*
11. MBK Senior Living, Irvine, CA*
12. The Arbor Co., Atlanta*
13. Leisure Care, Seattle
14. Holiday by Atria (formerly Holiday Retirement), Louisville, KY*
15. Sagora Senior Living, Fort Worth, TX*
16. The Springs Living, McMinnville, OR*
17. Benchmark Senior Living, Waltham, MA*
18. The Aspenwood Co. (formerly Retirement Center Management), Houston*
19. Benton House, Roswell, GA
20. Artis Senior Living, McLean, VA
21. Belmont Village Senior Living, San Jose, CA
22. Frontier Management, Portland, OR
23. Ohio Living, Westerville, OH*
24. Vetter Senior Living, Elkhorn, NE*
25. Harbor Retirement Associates, Vero Beach, FL
Small and medium-sized senior living and care employers:
There are lots of new names on this list, with 17 newcomers of the 25 communities named compared with 2021.
1. Legacy Healthcare, Skokie, IL*
2. Van Dyk Health Care, Hawthorn, NJ
3. Sun Health, Surprise, AZ*
4. Cascadia Senior Living and Fieldstone Communities, Yakima, WA*
5. Senior Star, Tulsa, OK
6. Embrace Living Communities, Oak Brook, IL*
7. MorseLife, West Palm Beach, FL
8. Keystone Senior, Springfield, IL
9. Buckner Retirement Services, Dallas
10. Galloway Ridge, Pittsboro, NC
11. Plymouth Place, LaGrange Park, IL
12. Carol Woods Retirement Community, Chapel Hill, NC*
13. EveryAge, Newton, NC
14. Thrive Senior Living, Atlanta
15. Tel Hai Retirement Community, Honey Brook, PA
16. Arcadia Communities, Louisville, KY*
17. Waterford Senior Living / Memory Care, Waterford, WI
18. Solvere Living, St. Petersburg, FL
19. John Knox Village, Orange City, FL
20. Christian Care Communities & Services, Mesquite, TX
21. Mansions Senior Living, Oklahoma City, OK
22. Agemark, Berkeley, CA*
23. Lutheran Society Ministries of New Jersey, Burlington, NJ
24. 12 Oaks Senior Living, Dallas
25. Wesley Woods, Atlanta*
* On the 2021 list
See additional information about each organization on the Great Place to Work website.