Brookdale once again tops this year’s ASHA 50 lists of owners and operators of senior living communities in the United States, released Wednesday. The lists, which have been produced by the American Seniors Housing Association every year since 1994, do contain some changes from last year, however.
The rankings were compiled with data submitted by senior officers of companies as well as data from public filings and other outside sources. They are based on total rent-based and entry-fee-based units of independent living, assisted living and memory care, as well as total skilled nursing beds, in communities designed and operated solely for older adults.
The five largest owners as of June 1, according to the ASHA 50:
- Brookdale (945 properties with a total of 78,595 units)
- Welltower (666 properties, 65,042 units)
- Ventas (716 properties, 61,969 units)
- HCP (470 properties, 49,000 units) and
- Senior Housing Properties Trust (297 properties, 34,687 units).
The five largest operators:
- Brookdale (1,101 properties, 104,878 units)
- Holiday Retirement (308 properties, 37,659 units)
- LCS (140 properties, 32,832 units)
- Five Star Senior Living (276 properties, 31,202 units) and
- Sunrise Senior Living (252 properties, 22,991 units).
This year’s list of owners saw two big changes in the top 10. Real estate investment trust Welltower moved from its No. 3 position of 2015 (when it was known as Health Care REIT) to No. 2, switching places with Ventas. And New Senior Investment Group moved from the No. 9 spot last year to the No. 8 spot this year, switching places with Senior Lifestyle Corp.
On the list of operators, Senior Lifestyle Corp. moved up one spot from last year to the No. 6 position, switching places with Erickson Living.
For the complete lists, see ASHA’s website.