Editor’s Note: See the 2019 Argentum list here.
Brookdale Senior Living once again tops Argentum’s annual list of the largest senior living providers.
This year’s list, shared in the latest issue of the organization’s Senior Living Executive magazine, features 115 companies with a total of almost 550,000 independent living, assisted living and memory care units.
Argentum said that its ranking criteria changed from last year, but the overall top 10 list remains the same except that Five Star Senior Living moved to the No. 3 spot and Enlivant took the 10th spot, bumping Affinity Living to No. 11.
About 40% of the providers on the list participate in state Medicaid waiver programs, with several states represented, Argentum said.
Here are the top 10 largest senior living (independent living, assisted living and memory care) providers based on resident capacity, according to Argentum:
- Brookdale Senior Living, with an operational resident capacity of 102,000
- Holiday Retirement, 72,748
- Life Care Services, 34,889
- Five Star Senior Living, 31,811
- Erickson Living, 28,166
- Sunrise Senior Living, 27,238
- Atria Senior Living, 21,513
- Senior Lifestyle Corp., 18,140
- Capital Senior Living, 16,500
- Enlivant, 11,353
Argentum also published lists of the largest independent living, assisted living and memory care providers, continuing care retirement communities (for the first time but excluding skilled nursing units) and real estate investment trusts.
Topping each of those lists:
- Independent living: Holiday Retirement, with 35,641 IL units
- Assisted living: Brookdale, with 53,122 AL units
- Memory care: Brookdale, with 13,437 MC units
- CCRC: Erickson Living, with 20,119 units at 18 properties (skilled nursing units not included in total)
- REIT: Welltower, with $16.7 million in senior living investments, 63,773 total U.S. units and 643 U.S. properties.
For more information, see the list.