DENVER—Mark Maxfield, owner and CEO of Eagle, ID-based The Cottages, has been named chairman of the National Center for Assisted Living Board of Directors for the 2023-2024 term.
Phil Scalo, founder and chairman of Jackson, NJ-based Bartley Healthcare, has been named the new chairman of the American Health Care Association Board of Governors for the term.
The NCAL board is elected by current members of the board and by the NCAL state leaders. Both the NCAL and AHCA boards held their elections at Delivering Solutions 23, the AHCA/NCAL Convention & Expo.
“We are thrilled to have Phil and Mark as the chairs of our boards,” AHCA/NCAL President and CEO Mark Parkinson said. “Their dedication to our sector and expertise will undoubtedly guide our organization to new heights in the coming year. We appreciate their leadership as we fight for common-sense policies and explore new opportunities to help the long-term care community thrive.”
The Cottages offers assisted living and memory care throughout Idaho. Maxfield has been involved in the assisted living profession since 2001, and his prior experience was in managing similar operations for a different segment of the population. He has served on the board for the Idaho Health Care Association and the Community Care Advisory Council, and he previously served as the vice chairman on the NCAL Board.
Other officers on the board:
- Vice chair: Sarah Silva of Arete Living, Oregon
- Secretary/Treasurer: Dave Chensvold of HealthCARE of Iowa
- Immediate past chair: Gerald Hamilton of BeeHive Homes, New Mexico
- John Bolduc of Odd Fellows’ and Rebekah’s Home of Maine
- Darryl Fisher of Mission Senior Living, Nevada
- Todd Dockerty of Dockerty Health Care Services, Michigan
- Drew Hood of Oak Terrace Senior Communities, Minnesota
- Barb Mitchell of Magnolia Manor, Georgi
- Logan Pratt of Caring Places Management, Washington
- Julie Simpkins of Gardant Management Solutions, Indiana
- Jennifer Svoboda of Arete Living, Oregon
- Sharon Thole of the Health Dimensions Group, Wisconsin
- Jessica Pelligrino Tsoukalas of Bridgeway Senior Healthcare, New Jersey
- Elizabeth Wheatley of Benchmark Senior Living, Massachusetts
- Kris Woolley of Avista Senior Living, Arizona
Additional board members:
- American Society of Health Care Administration Executives representative: Tara Gregorio of the Massachusetts Senior Care Association
- ASHCAE representative: Doug Farmer of the Colorado Health Care Association
- ASHCAE representative: Zach Shamberg of the Pennsylvania Health Care Association
- Associate business member representative: Sarah Dirks of Pinnacle Quality Insight
“We are incredibly fortunate that this year’s NCAL Board members are stepping up to serve,” NCAL Executive Director LaShuan Bethea said. “Their commitment to our mission is unwavering, and we are excited about the positive impact they will have on the future of assisted living. Together, we look forward to achieving our goals for the assisted living sector.”
The annual meeting ended Wednesday.