Fifty companies representing residential senior living and care have been named to Fortune’s 2023 Best Workplaces in Aging Services lists, released Wednesday.
The Palace Group, based in Miami, unseated Baltimore-based Brightview Senior Living (No. 2 this year and No. 1 in 2022, 2021, 2020 and 2019) on the 25 Best Large Workplaces in Aging Services senior housing and care list. That list features employers that have 1,000 or more employees.
Eighty-nine percent of The Palace Group employees said that the company is a great place to work, according to Activated Insights, which assists in data collection for the effort. The Palace Group was founded in 1980 by Helen and Jacob Shaham.
“So proud of our exceptional employees who made this incredible recognition possible,” the company posted on Facebook.
No. 3 Continuing Life in Carlsbad, CA, wasn’t even on the list last year, whereas No. 4 Vi Living in Chicago slipped one spot from its 2022 ranking. Wesley Enhanced Living in Warminster, PA, which maintained its No. 5 spot for 2023, rounded out the top five among large workplaces.
The 25 Best Small and Medium Workplaces in Aging Services list, featuring companies with 10 to 999 employees, saw a complete shakeup of its top five.
Newcomer Toby & Leon Cooperman Sinai Residences, a continuing care retirement community in Boca Raton, FL, landed the top spot, bumping last year’s No. 1 Legacy Healthcare in Skokie, IL, to No. 3 this year. Thrive Senior Living in Atlanta landed at No. 2 for 2023, Embrace Living Communities in Oak Brook, IL, is at No. 4 and Arcadia Communities in Louisville, KY, claimed the No. 5 spot.
In all, Fortune recognized 65 workplaces in long-term care: 25 large and 25 small to medium-sized senior living and care employers, as well as 15 home care companies.
Fortune partnered with people analytics firm Great Place to Work on the lists, using surveys of 168,000 employees nationwide on their workplace experiences, trust in management, connection with colleagues and company loyalty. That feedback was measured against organization revenue, size and employee demographics to identify companies offering the most generous, caring and innovative cultures.
To be eligible for the lists, companies must be Great Place To Work-certified, have 10 or more employees in the United States, and provide senior housing and care or at-home care in the aging services industry.
This year’s rankings appear below. For more information about the lists, visit Fortune’s website.
Large senior living and care employers:
- The Palace Group, Miami
- Brightview Senior Living, Baltimore*
- Continuing Life, Carlsbad, CA
- Vi Living, Chicago*
- Wesley Enhanced Living, Warminster, PA
- Trilogy Health Services, Louisville, KY*
- Citadel Healthcare, Lincolnwood, IL*
- Legend Senior Living, Wichita, KS*
- Leisure Care, Seattle*
- The Arbor Company, Atlanta*
- Benchmark Senior Living, Waltham, MA*
- WesleyLife, Johnston, IA*
- Shell Point Retirement Community, New Braunfels, TX
- Carlton Senior Living, Concord, MA*
- The Aspenwood Company, Houston*
- Juniper Communities, Bloomfield, NJ
- Sunrise Senior Living, McLean, VA*
- Americare Senior Living, Sikestone, MO*
- Senior Living Communities, Charlotte, NC
- Ohio Living, Westerville, OH*
- Sagora Senior Living, Fort Worth*
- Vetter Senior Living, Elkhorn, NE*
- Benton House, Alpharetta, GA*
- Belmont Village Senior Living, Houston*
- Artis Senior Living, McLean, NC*
Small and medium-sized senior living and care employers:
- Toby & Leon Cooperman Sinai Residences, Boca Rato, FL
- Thrive Senior Living, Atlanta*
- Legacy Healthcare, Skokie, IL*
- Embrace Living Communities, Oak Brook, IL*
- Arcadia Communities, Louisville, KY*
- Army Residence Community, San Antonio
- Distinctive Living, Freehold, NJ
- Keystone Senior, Indianapolis
- Vicar’s Landing, Ponte Verda Beach, FL
- Lutheran Social Ministries of NJ, Burlington, NJ*
- Galloway Ridge, Pittsboro, NC*
- Tel Hai Retirement Community, Honey Brook, PA*
- The Legacy Senior Communities, Dallas
- Cascadia Senior Living and Fieldstone Communities, Yakima, WA*
- Edgewood Retirement Community, North Andover, MA
- Carolina Meadows, Chapel Hill, NC
- Agemark, Omaha, NE
- EveryAge, Newton, NC*
- St. Camillus Health System, Tucson, AZ
- Senior Star, Tulsa, OK*
- Azura Living, Milwaukee
- Integracare, Wexford, PA
- Jewish Senior Life, Rochester, NY
- Covenant Village, Gastonia, NC
- The Manor Village Center, Phoenix
*On the 2022 list