The family of one of 14 construction workers injured in a June 26 explosion at Coryell Memorial Health System in Texas has been granted a restraining order against the provider and other companies involved in an expansion project there so that they “cease all efforts that alter, destroy, or otherwise fail to preserve explosion evidence immediately” at the scene.
The explosion at the Gatesville, TX, health system, believed to be an accident, resulted in the deaths of two construction workers. The system includes an acute care hospital, independent living, assisted living and a nursing home, all on one campus.
Family members of injured electrician Wilber Dimas were granted the restraining order on July 3, their attorney, Rob Ammons, said in a press release. It was the same day that previously evacuated independent living and assisted living residents returned home, according to a post on the system’s Facebook page.
Investigations by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Railroad Commission of Texas and others have not concluded yet, Ammons said. “It’s only fair for the people most directly impacted by this tragic event have an opportunity to examine the evidence before it is altered or destroyed,” he said.
Health system spokeswoman Carly Latham told the Waco Tribune-Herald that crews have not cleaned up debris from the site of the blast, although they have been working in surrounding areas.
“We are wanting to move forward, but the insurance company wants to look at it and we are all in limbo waiting for all of that.” she told the media outlet.
The system’s urgent care center and emergency room re-opened July 1, and the medical clinic opened July 2, according to posts on the Coryell website. Nursing home residents returned to the campus Thursday, the system posted on its Facebook page.
A judge will decide whether to make the restraining order an injunction at a July 16 hearing.