Cigarette, space heater blamed for senior living deaths

Share this content:

A cigarette or space heaters led to three different fires at senior living communities over the past week, killing a total of three residents and sending five people to the hospital.

A cigarette was responsible for the Nov. 27 fire that killed one resident of a senior living complex in Plainfield, IN, according to the Fox59.com. Two other residents were hospitalized with minor injuries and are expected to recover.

The building sustained about $100,000 in damage, and several residents were displaced, according to the TV station.

A space heater at a Fair Lawn, NJ, senior living facility for disabled adults led to a Nov. 23 fire that killed two female residents and sent three people to the hospital, according to the Fair Lawn-Glen Rock Daily Voice. The two women died of smoke inhalation, according to NJ.com, and another resident was treated for smoke inhalation. One of those injured in the fire was a police officer whose leg got caught in a gutter as he climbed down from the building's roof, according to the Daily Voice. A firefighter also sustained a leg injury, according to NJ.com.

A heater also was to blame for a small fire Nov 29 at the Courtyard Assisted Living Facility in Odessa, TX, according to CBS7.com. No damage to the building or injuries to residents were reported.

close

Next Article in News

In Focus

May 16

Bringing in the outdoors

Hollidaysburg, PA 

Garvey Manor and Our Lady of the Alleghenies Residence continuing care retirement community recently hosted an outdoor show, "Marching into the Woods."

JOB LISTINGS