California and Florida dominate a new list of the top 15 senior housing communities deemed welcoming to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.
Combined, the states are the locations of one-third of the communities on the list, which was compiled by Austin, TX-based senior housing referral service SeniorAdvice. Arizona, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania and Washington each have one community on the list.
“The LGBTQ senior community faces additional challenges that other seniors do not have to deal with, and we like to provide resources aimed at this group to help make transitioning to senior housing easier for all involved,” said SeniorAdvice CEO and founder Ryan Patterson.
The winning communities, according to the referral service:
- The Palms of Manasota retirement community in Palmetto, FL
- The Resort on Carefree Boulevard women-only RV community in Fort Myers, FL
- Stonewall Gardens assisted living community, managed by Northstar Senior Living, in Palm Springs, CA
- Fountaingrove Lodge, an Oakmont Senior Living independent living, assisted living and memory care community in Santa Rosa, CA
- Triangle Square Senior Apartments affordable housing in Hollywood, CA
- Rainbow Vista 55+ active adult community in Gresham, OR
- Discovery Bay Resort women’s RV community on the North Olympic Peninsula in Washington
- The Residences at Seashore Point 55+ condominium concierge community in Provincetown, MA
- Birds of a Feather 50+ “green” community in Pecos, NM
- A Place for Us 55+ active adult community in Cleveland
- Carefree Cove independent living community in Boone, NC
- John C. Anderson Apartments for those aged 62+ in Philadelphia
- The Pueblo retirement community in Apache Junction, AZ
- Spirit on Lake affordable housing in Minneapolis
- Townhall Apartments affordable housing in Chicago
See the SeniorAdvice website for more information about these communities as well as links to their webpages.