8 keys to selecting a commercial roofer
Selecting a commercial roofer for your senior living community isn't just about evaluating the proposals from each roofing contractor and then selecting the lowest bidder. Facility managers should consider several key factors when deciding who is going to repair or replace the roof on their senior communities.
Considering a roofing contractor's location, understanding of local climates, response record, certifications, professionalism and other factors will help make the selection process less stressful. When you've thinking about the eight factors outlined below, you're more likely to partner with a commercial roofer that's right for you.
- Location. Find a local roofing company that has a good reputation and local references. Local commercial roofers will be more concerned about maintaining a good reputation in your area. Look for good references and roofing companies with a long, well-established history of business.
- Weather expertise. Look for a local roofing company that truly understands your climate and weather patterns. Commercial roofers with proven, on-time weather response experts are ideal, especially when your area experiences unpredictable and often extreme weather conditions.
- Responsiveness. Search for a local roofing company that has a great reputation for response and proactive support for your needs. A good commercial roofer has a team that works with the latest technology, bringing a fully integrated response team ready to protect customers' buildings.
- Certifications. Be sure to find a local roofing company that is certified and respected in the area it services. Look to roofing system manufacturers and the contractors they have certified and honored in categories that recognize superior workmanship, consistency and continued dedication to perfection.
- Union affiliation. It is important that your local roofing company has a good reputation with your local craftspeople. When there is mutual respect, local craftspeople perform the highest quality and quantity of work, maximize their skills and abilities, exercise safe and productive work practices, eliminate those practices that reduce their contractors' profit margins, and treat their signatory contractors as their partners in business.
- Understanding of local economy. Consider local roofing companies that employ the residents of your community at large. You want a commercial roofer that not only knows your needs but also knows your neighborhood, a commercial roofer that doesn't need to Google your business address to know who and where you are.
- Professionalism. Find a responsive local roofing company with knowledge and expert advice that you can count on when you need it. Roof management is a complex and time-consuming challenge. That's why finding a dedicated commercial roofing team ready with expert solutions backed by quality craftsmanship is essential.
- Quality workmanship. Look for the local roofing company with the best range of roofing expertise. Proper installation is critical, with the best roofing warranties awarded for the best roofing installations. To ensure that your roof is installed properly for the best warranty coverage, you'll want to select a commercial roofer recognized by the manufacturer that continually installs its products with the utmost quality.
Now that you know the keys to selecting a roofing contractor, I'll share how to select the proper roofing system for your senior living community's needs in a future column.
David Bade is the owner of Bade Roofing Co. in St. Louis.
McKnight's Senior Living welcomes guest columns on subjects of value to the industry. Please see our submission guidelines for more information.