Big Buzz conducted an audit of website calls to action from the top 10 largest senior living providers in the United States, according to Argentum’s 2021 Largest Providers Report and surveyed 100 website development and online marketing experts to uncover precise best practices for marketing calls to action that actually bring older adults into your doors. Here are the findings.
If we expect people to take action, then we must clearly call them to action. Herein is the manifesto of The Clear Call to Action Model for the senior living industry as shown by trends from our study:
- All CTA buttons shall start with an action word, or verb, such as “Get,” “Download” or “Schedule” for optimum click-through rate.
- Downloadable assets shall bear the CTA “Download now – it’s free.”
- Content marketing signups shall bear the CTA “Subscribe.”
- The contact CTA shall be “Schedule a tour now” or “Schedule a consultation now.”
- Website calls to action shall appear “above the fold,” or before the visitor must scroll, for optimum click-through rate.
- Website buttons shall be designed in a color that contrasts with the content or web page, for optimum click-through rate.
- Supporting copy appearing above or near the website call-to-action button shall be written in no more than word sentences, each about five words long.
- Text appearing inside the website CTA button shall be written in no more than five words.
- Call-to-action buttons shall be larger than desktop CTA buttons on mobile devices for optimum click-through rate.
- A testimonial quote shall be placed near the website call-to-action button to increase click-through rates.
- Website CTA buttons shall be rounded, not square.
- Calls to action shall follow the Z formation along which a website visitor’s eyes travel.
To ensure whole-team compliance, document a standard operating procedure based on this manifesto, train your team, celebrate wins toward achieving the desired outcomes and keep your team accountable for ongoing updates and improvements.
Wendy O’Donovan Phillips is CEO of the Big Buzz senior living marketing agency and the author of the book Flourish!: The Method Used by Aging Services Organizations for the Ultimate Marketing Results.“ In addition to being published in McKnight’s, she has been a regular contributor to Forbes and has been quoted in the Washington Post, ABC News and Chicago Tribune.
The opinions expressed in each McKnight’s Senior Living guest column are those of the author and are not necessarily those of McKnight’s Senior Living.
Have a column idea? See our submission guidelines here.